Sunday 9 September 2012

Yay, the Olympics are finished!!!

Ok, I’m prepared to believe that I might be the only person in the country that’s glad that the Olympic and Paralympic Games are over.  I’m not a killjoy, nor am I a totally cold-hearted individual, but here’s my thing:

As most people that will know me will attest, I’m not a fan of sport.  I used to play football with some of the guys from work once a week and I’ve been a member of a gym for the past 7 years, but I’m really not into team sports, especially not watching it.  So imagine the hell I’ve had to put up with this year – almost from the moment the Scottish football season ended, we had Euro 2012.  No sooner did that end than we were headlong into the Olympic Games that already feels as if it’s been on since this time last year.  Then a fortnight’s break and we have the Paralympics. 

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the obsession with sport.  I don’t subscribe to it, but I understand it.  For some people, their sport is like my music and television.

To finish, I’d like to cite Adam Hills.  As many of you who HAVE followed the Paralympic coverage will know, he hosted a show on Channel 4 called The Last Leg (presumably named as a play on words around his own prosthetic limb).  They used to run a segment on Twitter entitled “Is it wrong to…?”.  So, in that tradition, is it wrong to see the closing ceremony of the Paralympics on the TV and think “Thank God!!”?

No comments:

Post a Comment